Texas Crushed Stone has been successfully serving customers in Texas and Louisiana for over 50 years.
Edwin Brazelton Snead
Edwin Brazelton Snead went into business for himself when he founded E.B. Snead Construction Company in 1932. Ten years later, he opened his first quarry in Austin, just southwest of MoPac and FM2222. In 1947, he incorporated Texas Crushed Stone and then opened his second quarry, at the corner of MoPac and Far West Boulevard in Austin. In 1958, with the limestone almost depleted in the second quarry, Snead began looking for a new quarry site, which he found near Georgetown.
At the same time, the Missouri Pacific Railroad was trying to abandon a branch line railroad running between Round Rock and Georgetown. Some Georgetown businessmen, however, wanted to ensure that their city would continue to be served by two railroads. In those days, before IH-35 was built, having a quarry that far from Austin typically made shipping difficult; but Snead chose to locate his new quarry along the rail line for easy access in hauling to Austin. He and the businessmen worked together and incorporated the Georgetown Railroad. Historically, about half of what comes out of the quarry goes by rail.
In 1965, Snead’s son, Bill, a Texas A&M University graduate, who had just served a three-year tour of duty with the U.S Air Force, began working for his father full time. He now serves as president of Texas Crushed Stone and holds the majority interest in the Georgetown Railroad. Today, Bill’s son, Kent also works for the family business. Although it has been 64 years since E.B. Snead founded the company, his descendants are still committed to his original principals